Thursday, July 19, 2012

Vintagey Serendipity

Sooooo.... what was supposed to be a sewing day, that began with errands, ended up being a do-stuff-to-the-house-with-stuff-you-just-found day.  I spent almost all day yesterday holed up in the house working on a custom order,  I suppose it was bound to happen.  I had to get shoes to match the other bridesmaids for a wedding (I ended up borrowing some from a sweet-as-sugar cupcake of a friend), get groceries, and other stuff just happened.... this is why I cannot leave the house without a list, and not allow myself to deviate from it, but what do you expect from a deviant?  I'm getting better... sometimes.
At any rate, I had my eye on some lamps, and when I went back to the consignment place a couple of weeks ago, they were gone.  When I went looking for wedding shoes, they were magically there again!
They even have paint on the back!
They apparently need to be rewired, and I think I'll take my business to Heights Trading Post, since the owner was so nice and the price was right last time I needed lamps rewired.  If I do it myself, I risk screwing up and breaking things, and then I don't get to listen to old man stories or support a local small business.
At another consignment shop, I also did not find wedding shoes, but I did get a bigger, better clothes drying rack el cheapo, and also a bamboo shade for my big window.
It ties in so nicely with the way I've redone my living room, and it eliminates the need for me to make a curtain and the urgency to find barkcloth. It was way cheaper than both of those, too. I do still need to decide on a final spot for my fiberglass swag lamp, or at least make the cords more inconspicuous.
I'm not one for tchotchkes, really, but I couldn't resist this tiny dancer:
She's gorgeous!  And if you clicked on the link above, yeah, I really did have to do that to you.  Forserious.  HA!  Anyway, her tutu and headdress are fur!  Come at me, PETA!  Old, reused, vintage fur.  Fur.  I dropped out of tap and ballet (long story short: tiny introvert), but I'm sure I would've looked like that statuette.
And unrelated to home decor, but serendipitous nonetheless, I found this baby:
I swear I almost bought this exact same fan at an estate sale about a month ago.  I think I know where to look for their leftovers now, and it was cheaper.  What are the odds?!  The camera didn't quite pick up the mother-of-pearl effect on the paper.  The green on the edge is China silk- very lightweight and fluttery.  I use fans all spring and summer, and sometimes in the fall (Southeast Texas weather- ya do what ya gotta do), and this one matches perfectly with a gray and green dress I have.  I always try to keep one in my purse, and I match them to my outfits whenever I can.
And I leave you with that- you'll have to see my sewing project next week, after all this wedding jazz blows over and I finish the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment