Wednesday, January 4, 2012

You Need a Bullet Bra.

You just might not know it yet.  You need one if you have vintage dresses and blouses cut for a silhouette that was once shaped by bullet bras, so you can fill 'em out properly.  Mostly, you need one 'cause it's winter.

It ain't easy being glamorous and feminine with layers of clothing.  Face it- our curves can get lost in sweaters and whatnot.  Bullet bras help.  Forserious. And warm and fuzzy angora sweaters are so girly and pretty and soft, but the fuzzier they are, The more I feel like my shape is lost in them.  The only solution is to get your ducks in a row, up 'n out.

I know a lot of people have aversions to bullet bras.  Don't be scared.  Some of them can be really pretty.  
I particularly love the circle stitched ones.  A nice lady from Australia bought this next one from my Etsy shop a while back.  Believe me, if it had been my size, I never would have parted with it.
Sometimes I find these babies with tags still on them. The pale blue one below will soon be relisted on Etsy with better photos:
And this one is cute and really interesting- the Exquisite Form "Just A'Just".  The concept of cinching the center and having a back extender to adjust to any size- obviously invented by a man.  I can tell you it probably only fits a B or C.

And these are always pretty if you like or need longline bras:
Some of these have already sold, and some are soon-to-be listed or relisted on Etsy with others like them.    The thing is, only natural boobs (yes, I said boobs) can fill them out.  Furthermore, if someone convinces you that you need pointy tip inserts (unless your boobs are processed), you have the wrong bra size.
So, air out you angora and cashmere, sweater gals.  You can hand-wash those sweaters (the non-beaded ones) in cool water with mild detergent, roll them in a towel, and then lay them out to dry even though the label says "dry clean only".  It's a conspiracy.  And make sure you're wearing the right bra size, then go forth and search for bullet bras.   There's always eBay and Etsy, or the following vintage reproduction stores: http://www.secretsinlace.com/category/Bullet_Brashttp://www.vickisnylons.com/http://www.whatkatiedid.us.com/.
Sooner or later, I'll post photos of pieces from my personal collection.  Until then, get your ducks in a row, stay warm and toasty, and happy shopping!

1 comment:

  1. I am sooo backing you up on this one, girl!
    I have several dresses that I can't even wear without a bullet bra; the "shelf" is built higher than a modern bust....is (does?). That is, yes - vintage fashions were specifically cut for a figure wearing certain foundation garments.
    But I hadn't thought of the lost-inside-your-angora aspect of modern bras and sweaters. Sad but true.
    Here's to bullet bras and *you*!
    ~Formica

    ReplyDelete