Friday, September 21, 2012

Paradise Found

So I had absolutely no Hawaiian or otherwise tropical vintage until this past year.  The following pieces were all found in the same place.

Firstofall,   I look through eBay and Etsy regularly at all types of vintage things- things I'm seeking, but cheap.  I still look at the pricey things, but it's more of a learning experience.  I like to know what else to look for.  I have never seen the label that this bears: Lani. I haven't found it anywhere.
The label also says it's hand-printed.  The accent paint is gold.  This has to be old stock.  For being white, it's super clean.  The zipper is metal, which could be done in a modern repro, and the elastic is still good, but the boning is absolutely shot. (Boning being present is usually an indicator of vintagey goodness in the first place in pieces like this.)
The frogs above the splits on the outer leg are a cute detail. I wish my camera had cuter focus.
This next piece is a Catalina.  The label even notes that the fabric design is copyrighted.  They don't fool around.
Ahhh, a sarong swimsuit... imagine my delight in finding it. :)  It paled in comparison to my delight in finding this next piece, which induced an episode of thrift apnea and a dang-near heart attack.





I keep sifting in this one place, thinking "One day, I'll find a sarong".  That day happened.  I flipped past a late 60s Malia sundress, Hawaiian, but not what I was looking for.... and then I found this:

It's old stock.  I wanted to jump out of my skin like that Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, but I kept a calm facade.  It's by Sun Fashions Hawaii.
There are so many pretty details, I can hardly stand it!  The print is interesting- paisley pineapples and seaweed, and I love the foldover on the bust!
So there you have it- my first sarong, which I've been waiting to wear, and will wear this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Watch your drinks, girl, 'cause I just might spike 'em to get that fab red dress!!!
    ~Formica

    ReplyDelete