Thursday, July 12, 2012

Houston, We Have a Loveseat.

As I've been purging my apartment of old things in exchange for even older things, I gave my futon to a neighbor in need months ago.  I didn't like it anymore, so why not?  I've been sitting on the floor or at my awesome dining table until a dear friend lent me this late 50s/early 60s 3-band rattan loveseat:
It had been sitting on a storage shed for a long time.  I cleaned off the spider egg cases, vacuumed out the cobwebs, polished the wood, and covered the cushions with the brand-new covers that she lent along with it.  One cushion was missing, but that's nothing a trip to the fabric store with a coupon can't fix.  So now, I kinda have a living room like a real-live grown-up.
I do however, wish the original cushion covers were an option.  I'm in the process of cleaning them.  They're gorgeous, and I do prefer the graphics and color scheme.
Dark green! Chartreuse! Gray and white spider mums!  I love spider mums.  I've been soaking them to lift out the decades of staining, and I noticed today that it seems that one of the cushions is the wrong size.  The set was a 3 piece set, I'm using 2 pieces to make a loveseat, but one of the 4 covers is for the back and 3 are seat cushions.  Boooo.  We'll see if I can Frankenstein some solution.

So I almost have a real living room.  I talked to my Dad this past week about how to remedy the jacked-up veneer on the 50's coffee table I found on the side of the road.  It's about to be on.

2 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for Operation Spider Mum Makeover.
    alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know! I washed them once, Oxy-Cleaned them twice in the bathtub, resulting on brown water both times, and soaked them again in the washer.... we'll see what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete