Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Fur-tastic!

It's a touchy subject, I know... fur is viewed as cruel and extravagant by some, killing innocent animals inhumanely for the sake of fashion, parading around in suffering and pain.  Vintage fur has been dead for a long time, and if I wear it, then it's still being used and not wasted. Besides, I can't keep a normal human body temperature on my own, let alone in cold conditions.  Seriously, my temperature is below normal average, and at the risk of being lectured, re-educated, and generally frowned upon by vegan and animal-loving friends and acquaintances, the long-gone creatures sure can help me stay warm.
That said, I happened upon an thrift store in a neighborhood I never go to, just the other day.  It used to be a very nice neighborhood once upon a time, and some very nice things were hanging on the racks priced cheap and then marked down on top of that.
This beauty is a very heavy wool coat from the 50s, with a fur collar.  I initially thought it was fox, but upon doing a little research, I suspect it could maaaaybe be a type of marten.  I'm gonna have to get Alyssa to take a look and play "name-that-fur".
I'm pretty happy about this find, especially since I'm afraid I'm wearing my modern wool coat into the ground.  If I told you how much I paid for this, you'd say "no way" and then come steal it from me.  They practically gave it away.  The cherry on top is the label:
 "Shagmoor".  Rrrrrewwwwrr!

The first thing I found when I walked into that store is this beauty, priced cheap and marked down and practically given away.  It's one of those things that made me quit breathing for a minute when I found it-  another case of thrift-apnea...
I initially thought it was blond mink, but there's a chance it might be some pale fox instead- fur is not yet an area of expertise for me; I'll be calling some people who can learn me a thing or two.  It does have a few splits on the sleeves, which I will be mending as soon as I get my hands on a leather needle.   The inside had embroidered strawberries and appliqued monogram patches.

With these two pieces in hand for less than a Jackson, it took a bit of self-control not to dance out of that place singing a gloating song sprinkled with happy obscenities.  I know, I'm a mess.  I do have a lot of mending on my hands now, though.  In addition to the aforementioned fur coat, I've also been meaning to repair these pretty things:
I bought this chocolate mink cape from my friend Foss.  There's one split on the back that I need to stitch up, and then it'll be good as new.  It appears to be postwar 40s.  Those are not sleeves, but slits that are gathered underneath, making a nice little hammock for your hands.
Cozzzzy. And the label?  "Lurch".  What better name for luxurious ladies' furs? Ha!

Last, but not least, I acquired this baby in a hand-picked lot at a private sale.  It's Persian lamb from the 50s, but it needs a lot of love.   It had been improperly stored for a long time and has a lot of little splits that I'll be repairing soon.
One of the splits on the shoulder is visible on the photo, but there are a lot more across the back.  With some love and my conservation training, it'll be beautiful and wearable again in no time.
Seriously, how could I not salvage this piece?  It's lined in faille and has a pleated ruffle at the collar, for bleep's sake!  Not to mention that it's from an old Texas department store!  This one will be a challenge, but I will make it happen.  

Until next time, stay warm and toasty, and continue to have Happy Holidays. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment