Thursday, September 20, 2012

Tropical Paradise

With the end of summer drawing near, and the official first day or autumn approaching, I've just inventoried my recent lucky finds- all full of tropical goodness.  I was born and raised in a subtropical climate myself, and count myself a tropical creature to some degree, along with my friends from places like Guam and the Phillipines.  I always wanted to be a hula girl when I was little- Marisa informs me she would have traded places in a heartbeat.  I would have been the most blindingly pale hula girl of all time.

Anyway, I'll be commemorating the close of summer by wearing some of my tropical vintage this weekend to events here and there.  I just wore this baby again today:
The whole ensemble cost me a whopping $15 at one of my favorite vendors at the 2012 Lone Star Roundup.  I've told you I can't enjoy things that cost too much money.  I enjoy this outfit thoroughly.  The plumeria border print on the skirt is adorable.
I may redo the whole thing if I ever have time, to expose some of the darker print that's hidden under the hem.  However, with my curator job restarting for the fall semester and studio work picking up again, I'm behind on custom orders and it could be a while.

I acquired this beauty super el cheapo:
It's a Rose Marie Reid of California "Draped Sheath".  Not exactly Hawaiian, but tropical-looking enough for this Irish girl, and a good example of New Look-era "ethnic" print nonetheless.  Besides, it fits like a dream.  (If you clicked on the Irish link, I'm convinced that octave-skipping and keening are innate, and part of Irish DNA, but that's a whole 'nother cultural discussion.)

I wore this precious thing a couple of weeks ago.
It appears to be 1940s in every way from the cut to the print.  It seems to be homemade, and the original v-halter strap has been cut out (alas).  The photography studio I work for bought it from a dear friend of mine, and no one ever used it for a shoot, so it was on it's way out in our upcoming wardrobe sale.  Despite my love-for/reluctance-to-wear yellow,  I bought it.  I love it.  The print alone is fantabulous, and it fits me way better than it fits Dolly.  (Dolly could stand to eat a sandwich... if she were real. It's clipped back on her.)
It says "Kamehameha", "Aloha Hawaii", and "Waikiki girl" amidst pineapples, hibiscus, flying fish, hula girls, King Kamehameha, tropical fish, fishermen, canoes, beach scenes, and foliage.

I found these a while back for an amazing deal- almost free.  They were bought as a gift that never got to be given, and now must find another purpose.
They're awesome.  I've been researching a bit, and I have yet to find any quite like this.  The label is either 50s or early 60s as far as I can tell.
"Polynesian Bazaar"- and they're in such good condition!  The coin button is perfect, and the gold paint has oxidized but is still there-  I have half a mind to restore it.  Finding men's vintage in such good shape is a special treasure, since men have worn their clothes into the ground since the dawn of time.  Someone probably wore them once, probably at the request of a lady, and never again (if at all).

I have more tropical pieces to show, all of which came from the same little goldmine I like to haunt.  I'll show you those later.  Soon.  I'm off to some preparation work for a fashion show, so check back and I'll show you exactly what I'll be wearing this weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment